08 October 2008

Sheets' Injury

Sexy. He's fallen off the radar a bit, which might be best for a team in need of starting pitching.


According to Ben Sheets' agent, his injury is similar to a hamstring pull, but in his elbow. Obviously, this hurts his value on the open market, but supposedly, he should be 100% in a month. No one should give him a five-year deal, but I don't believe he would have gotten it. If I were a GM, I'd have several tests run on his shoulder, elbow, and anything else I could think of. Then, if he was healthy and my doctors (Dr. Andrews too maybe) said he was fine, I'd give him his 3 year/$45M deal. I realize that that's roughly what Jason Schmidt got and it didn't work out, but it was probably still worth the risk. He could have been great. He wasn't, but for all intents and purposes, he could have been. If I were a team like the Braves, I might wait it out to see if I could get a 2 year/$25-30M deal with an option for a third year. Again, check him out thoroughly, but if he's completely healthy, there's really no bigger of a chance that he'll get hurt that Sabathia or anyone else will have of getting hurt.

No comments: