23 October 2008

Braves Not as Hot on Peavy as Thought

I guess we'll see. I'm a little disappointed, but that doesn't make this a bad decision.


Wren came out and said the Braves won't trade their top prospects, even for Peavy. This is the most definitive thing we have seen in the past few weeks. I don't know whether to be relieved or saddened. Peavy is the chance to seriously upgrade our rotation, but I also really like our prospects, especially Hanson. I still think a trade built around Schafer/Hanson or Hanson/Johnson wouldn't be bad, but it seems as though Wren is sticking to his guns. On the other hand, this might be more posturing. The Padres probably haven't gotten too many great deals for Peavy considering his no-trade clause and apparent unwillingness to go to the AL. The Padres don't have to trade him, but you might imagine they might be antsy to considering their situation. Wren could just be saying, "Take Anderson, Redmond, and Prado or nothing." People will blame Wren, but for once, it seems a Braves front office man is looking to the future. Can't say I blame him. He's restocking, and there is a lot of talent in A ball right now. He keeps these guys for a run in a couple years while hoping he can win some free-agent contests. I guess we'll see.

Making it more difficult for Wren, Schafer and Hanson are going off in Winter Ball.

No comments: