22 October 2008

Jack Zduriencik is New Mariners GM

There he is.


Congratulations to Jack Zduriencik on getting the job. It's probably something he's wanted for an awfully long time. He's known for his player development skills as he bolstered the Milwaukee system into a powerhouse, but it will take around 5-6 years to see any dramatic improvement created from that department. I only wonder whether or not he will be given that much time. At this point, he has little to no farm system to deal with, and his team isn't very good. The Mariners have resources, so he can spend. However, that's not always a good idea. We really have no idea about his ability to make good trades, but that's always a sketchy measuring stick for a GM. So much luck goes into making a trade work. Sometimes guys underperform, sometimes they get hurt, and sometimes they play better than you expect. No one really knows how it will end up. Regardless, Mr. Zduriencik has quite a challenge ahead of him. His main task will be to rebuild the farm system, but again, that may take 5-6 years. In the mean time, he'll have to figure out how to build next season's team, whether or not to re-sign Felix Hernandez, and how to handle veterans such as Ichiro. What would I do?

First, I trade the veterans with value. Ichiro's gone, and so is Beltre, Putz, Lopez, Betancourt, and Washburn. I would eat some of the contracts considering Seattle does have money they can spend, and this would ultimately save money anyway. Eating money would bring back better players, which is really what Seattle needs more than the money. Ichiro, Beltre, and Putz could bring back at least two good prospects each. Lopez, Betancourt, and Washburn may only bring back one good prospect, but at least with Washburn, you would get rid of the contract. As for Bautista and Silva, you're kinda stuck with 'em. Put Silva in the fifth spot and Bautista back in the bullpen. I would then try to get rid of Johjima and get back whatever I could for him. At least the contract would be gone. With the remaining money, I spend on Teixeira and Furcal as impact guys who will still be good in two or three years when I'm ready to contend. I add Bradley to be the DH and give him 2 or 3 years. Now, the fans still have something to go see even if they aren't Ichiro, but it still lets them know you're not just completely throwing everything in the scrap heap. In the trades, get MLB-ready or tested guys. If that means fewer players, then that's fine, but the goal is still to put a good team out there. Clement is the catcher, Tex is at first, Furcal is at second, and Tuiasopo is at third. The rest can be had through trades. As for the rotation, it depends on what you can get back. I would even consider trading Hernandez, but I need the best three prospects from someone to consider it. I would put Morrow back at the closer spot, but I would use him for more than one inning. One inning would be the norm, but if there's a man on second and one out in the eighth, I'd encourage my manager to bring him in. The goal is to get 100 good innings from him out of the bullpen.

This would be a major overhaul, but that's really what the Mariners need.

No comments: