1) Play all teams an equal number of times. 162/29=5.58. 29x5=145. 162-145=17 extra games. So, you play all teams at least 5 times, and then split up the remaining 17. One idea would be to play those against your divisional foes. Another would be to spread them out to the other teams in your respective league (I prefer the divisional game theory). You play AL rules in AL parks, and NL rules in the NL. This might even out some of the differences between the two leagues as DH's become less important for the AL and more important for the NL, making them equally important for each league. Each team needs a DH-type guy, so the talent should even itself out. The problem is that the DH becomes more common for the NL, and a lot of people don't like the DH (we could just get rid of the DH, but what would happen to Big Papi? or make the DH for everyone, but then why have opposite leagues?). Another one is that teams play more games on opposite coasts. However, you get to play more teams, and the schedules are roughly even.
2) Play teams in your league an even number of times. 162/15=10.8. 15x10=150. 162-150=12 games left for NL teams. 162/13=12.46. 12x13=156. 6 games left for AL teams. The remaining games are spread out to divisional foes. This makes the Anti-Interleague party happy. This again evens out the difficulty of the schedules for the leagues, but not between them like theory 1 does. Again, this means more cross-country trips for teams (oh well), but it also means more variety.
3)
I'm not sure if these are really viable, but I just don't like the unbalanced schedule at all. I tried to think of other ones that weren't completely equal, but I'm not sure they actually work. Logistical overload.

No comments:
Post a Comment