30 October 2008

Rounding the Bases

What a goofy picture.


I spent an hour the other day going through each team and finding the online newspapers of the respective cities of each team in order to get more news about each team. As a result, I feel that I should live up the name of the site and start giving news from around the league and their links in kind of a Buster Olney style. I'll still do specific pieces of course, but I'll try to do these daily or at least as often as I can. My guess is that today will be longer than most, but without further ado:

- The Yankees are reportedly thinking about Manny Ramirez because they don't have enough old corner outfielders who just hit.

- The Red Sox wanted a new Spring Training location, but they ended up where they started. Lee County will build them a new complex worth $80M, but don't worry. The Red Sox have to pay a $500,000 lease fee each year. So that means they'll pay that off in like 160 years.

- After the Rays lost, someone tried to figure out all the ways they won this season. And I just thought it was the pitching and defense everyone kept talking about.

- Go through the excruciatingly painful Orioles season here. All 162 games. Oh my ...

- Mike Jacobs was traded to Kansas City, which you might have known already, but even though everyone wants to pan the trade from the Royals' perspective, what exactly did Florida get in return? Maybe Ron can help the class. If anything else, just check out the euphoric picture of Jacobs (above). They couldn't have found a better picture?

- The Tigers fired Jeff Jones a month ago from his bullpen coaching duties, so they found their replacement today. Whadayano? It's Jeff Jones. I bet this is either because Jones opted out in the middle of his $55M contract or because no one else wanted to be deemed responsible for the fiasco that is the Tiger bullpen.

- To keep Alan Embree or not to keep Alan Embree. For his 4 ERA, I could think of a couple other ways to spend $3M.

- Torii Hunter feels "squeezed" that the Angels failed to advance, but I think when you lose in Game 4 of the five game series, you probably did a few other things wrong as well.

- Here's the Rangers top 5 pitching prospects because in Arlington, you can't get excited about what you have at the major-league level.

- Just in case you didn't know, the Phillies won the World Series.

- Just in case you didn't know, the Nationals did not win the World Series. (That was kind of a cheap shot wasn't it?)

- Yadier Molina and Albert Pujols won Fielding Bible Awards for their respective positions. I love Molina, but should you really get that award for making 10 errors and only throwing out 34% of base stealers?

- Aramis Ramirez was surprised to win the Hank Aaron Award. Yeah, so was everyone else. What do the bleacher bums say? Throw it back. Throw it back.

- The Pirates sent four pitchers to the minors hoping Paul Maholm can shoulder the load all by himself next season.

- The Reds are contemplating signing Mark Mulder to ensure that he stays hurt as a result of being under Dusty Baker.

- A headline you never want to see for a pitcher: Scherzer Goes Out with a Bang.

- This does not teach kids that gambling is bad.

- Selig values Padres' owner's leadership. Too bad his wife doesn't.

No comments: