30 October 2008
Is It Just Me or Should They Be Happy About This?
Nick Piecoro ponders next season's draft for the Diamondbacks. They have three Type A guys (Orlando Hudson, Adam Dunn, and Juan Cruz) that will all get big multi-year deals, and a Type B in Brandon Lyon. All totaled if they leave, they give the D-Backs nine of the first 62 (potentially) picks in next year's draft. Piecoro goes on to explain how this will cause a rise in costs for the team. But, isn't having nine (nine) of the first 62 picks a good thing? I'd rather spend the $9M (his estimate) on those nine players than $9M on some middle-class free-agent. Next year's draft should significantly upgrade their farm system, so I'm surprised he seems worried. I don't think even $15M spent in the draft would be that bad for essentially nine first and second round picks. Especially when the payroll will really jump in a few years when Webb and Haren's contracts rise and Drew, Upton, and Reynolds receive arbitration, they'll need the prospects to help out because the payroll will be significantly higher (the other side to having such a young team). Again, I'm not really sure why Piecoro is worried. I'd be ecstatic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment