03 October 2008

Awww (Part 2)

Ooops.


I was reading Buster Olney's blog and saw this:

In just a couple of days, the Cubs and Brewers are on the brink of elimination -- a byproduct of the best-of-five Division Series round. "There is a lot of support among the GMs for a change," said one executive. "They want the first round to be best-of-seven. It's just more equitable. Think about it -- if you lose the first game of a five-game series, then you have to win three of the next four or go home, and after 162 games, that's just not right. One game shouldn't have that much impact in the way Game 1 does in a best-of-five series."

Okay, because having to win four of your next six is that easy. If you won 66.66666666% (2/3 = 4/6) of your games during the season, you would win 108 games, which is really freakin' difficult. You know what, by losing your first game, you put yourself in a hole. I'm sorry, but you have to deal with it. The other team has to deal with the same scenario. It's not impossible to come back. I understand you've worked really hard to get here during the season, but I've never felt that a possible 19 games should decide a season anyway. People always talk about small sample sizes. but when it comes to the playoffs, 19 games (if that many) suddenly represents your entire season. It's a little ridiculous, but I've learned to accept it. The first round of the playoffs is a best of five series, so the GM's need to just accept it. It's life. Just win the first game next time.

No comments: