19 October 2008

Red Sox Looking into Peavy

Retro.


I'm surprised I haven't heard more about this, but because the Red Sox are still in the playoffs, I guess they're more focused on the playoffs. The nerve. All they're doing is slowing down the Peavy process by winning and looking for a World Series. The nerve. Anyway, according to this article, the Red Sox are looking into Jake Peavy after they finish the season, which could be tonight or a week and a half from now. I realize that Peavy has "said" he really only wants to play for an NL team, but you can never, I mean never, take that seriously. I believe everyone has a price, and Peavy might just be trying to get the Yankees or Red Sox to either give him a raise or accept that $22M option to play in such hostile environments.

Regardless, the two teams, Red Sox and Padres, matchup pretty well. The Padres want pitching and middle infield/outfield help. The Red Sox could give up two of Clay Buchholz, Michael Bowden, or Justin Masterson. Out of those, I would probably try to give the Padres Bowden and Masterson, but I'm guessing the Padres want Buchholz. It doesn't really matter which because the Red Sox have the pitching and the depth, something most do not have. As for position players, this might be the problem. The article mentions Lars Anderson, but the Padres have Adrian Gonzalez (let's talk about him in a minute) right now and Kyle Banks coming up quickly. In the middle infield department, would Argenis Diaz work? He doesn't hit much yet, but he's an excellent defender. What about Josh Reddick? He didn't play much at AA last season (34 games), but that doesn't really mean much, and the Padres did say the want a near MLB-ready outfielder. Reddick may only be able to play center for a bit, but that might be enough. Position players could be the sticking point, but I imagine the Red Sox could add in another pitcher (though not one of the three not included).

As for Adrian Gonzalez, if the Padres are really looking to rebuild, would you trade him? He's very affordable, but they have Kyle Banks almost or already ready. Could you trade Peavy, get the pitching he can bring, and then trade Gonzalez for more pitching and some position players? He'd bring back more than Peavy I would think. He hit .279/.361/.510 with 36 HR and 119 RBI this season, and his contract sees him getting $3M and $4.75M. There's then an option for all of $5.5M, but if he doesn't play well for whatever reason, the option does not have a buy-out. The Padres could rebuild by trading two players. But, would they?

No comments: