01 August 2008

I Really Did Try But ...


It's always funny when I read post-Deadline articles that reference GM's around baseball. In this one from SI.com, several of them say, "We tried to get (insert name here), but they just wanted too much." Isn't this just another way of saying either "Our farm system sucks and couldn't afford to give up our really good ones," or "We didn't really try, but I'm saying this to get you off my freaking back." I mean, really, did they really try? Can we find out if they did? They all do it, so they aren't going to sell each other out. I don't want your excuses. I want your reasons for holding on to Will Ohman. Oh, you couldn't really get anything good for him, at least not as much as that supplemental draft pick you'll need when we re-sign those two big pitchers this offseason. Okay, that sounds fine. That's a reason. Not, we need an outfielder, so we refused to give up anything for Raúl Ibañez. That makes no sense. If it was the farm system, just admit you're a terrible GM.

Also, what's with everyone not wanting to give up prospects. If you're getting a good MLB player that has proved himself, isn't that better than a No.1 prospect that might be decent? I guess I wouldn't give up a No.1 for Joe Blanton, but if Jason Bay was hanging around, I think I'd do it.

No comments: