Sorry, I went to see Office Space last night, so I didn't post about the second baseman. Therefore, I'll do the second basemen now and the shortstops later tonight. Sound fair enough? Good. Anyway, this spot in the Braves organization is a bit different from most spots in that most of the decent players are close or are in the majors.
As of now, Kelly Johnson is the second baseman, but there are rumors about him being traded this offseason (I do believe I called this a long time ago). After last season's .276/.375/.457, Johnson seemed headed for stardom (okay, maybe just a solid, above-average major leaguer), but he's dipped this season to .264/.334/.405. The plus? He has more stolen bases and doubles. Defensively, he's pretty much a mess. He's made 11 errors, and he made 14 last season. He's on pace for 13, and that's not good for a second baseman. Still, a team trading for him will see the offensive potential that Johnson (who will only be 27 next season) has and the three years of control. He likely won't bring much back, but a decent starting pitcher or offensive player who has fallen a bit could be traded for Johnson. The Braves don't necessarily have to use free-agency to help themselves, and Johnson is trade bait #1.
The next two guys who could step in are in the majors in Omar Infante and Martin Prado. Infante has hit .306/.355/.451 this season with 19 doubles, and he does have some power potential given some playing time (16 HR in 2004 in 142 games). Right now, he's being used as a super-utility player, and because of his versatility, I expect that's where he'll stay (personally, I like him in that spot continuously moving around giving guys, especially Chipper, a day off while contributing offensively). I think, but am not sure, that next year is his last for arbitration, so he'll be around for one more year. After that, the Braves will have to look into making him the starter or just letting him go. I see him being let go.
The next guy is Martin Prado, who really has impressed the Braves this season. He's hit .333/.384/.500 in 54 games. While he's not that good, he still has done very well in his time in Atlanta this season. At age 24, he might be the best option to replace Kelly, but he might be a sleeper pick for a trade considering a team might want to take a chance on him at his age and affordability. The big problem is his 3 errors in 15 games at 2B, but I wouldn't give that too much credence considering he gets moved around a lot. It might be hard for him to continually adjust. I bet he'll be the Braves starter for the next few seasons unless ...
The Braves opt for Brent Lillibridge here. He's really slumped this year in Richmond with a .220/.286/.341 line, but his previous seasons indicate a much better offensive player. The other thing I like about him is his speed (22 SB with 42 and 53 in previous seasons). At age 24, he and Prado are similar in youth and affordability (Lillibridge will be under control for one more season I think), but Lillibridge has the same offensive potential while having much more speed. The thing is that Lillibridge is a shortstop, so he would have to switch positions. I think this would be okay considering shortstop is much more difficult than second. He's my pick to start at second next season based on his speed and similar offense to Prado. If he's not the Braves' pick, he might be traded as well this winter.
Diory Hernandez is another guy in Richmond that could plausibly be Johnson's replacement. He is .285/.317/.385 in Richmond with 22 2B, so he's another gap hitter. However, he's a terrible base stealer and not a good defender. He's not particularly patient at the plate either. In other words, I don't see him being the starting second baseman soon considering there are better options.
Another guy in Richmond is Ruben Gotay who previously played for the Royals and Mets. He didn't do much in Atlanta, prompting his demotion. Like Hernandez, he really doesn't scream starter at the major league level, but he could be a decent backup infielder.
At 5'9" and 175 pounds, JC Holt doesn't seem to be an everyday player, but he's been very good in Mississippi hitting .284/.351/.393 with 17 2B and 8 3B. He can steal bases as he has 22, but he gets thrown out a lot (11 times in 33 chances). With the other options ahead of him, I don't see him really getting any sort of shot, and he's 25 in AA. Next season, he'll be 26. I guess he could be a Pete Orr of sorts.
In High-A Myrtle Beach, the Braves have an interesting guy in Travis Jones who's hit .246/.361/.425 with 16 HR and 27 2B. He also has 16 SB, but he's been caught 8 times. Unfortunately, he's terrible defensively with 18 errors in 121 games, so he may not stay at second even if his offense allows him to continue on through the organization.
As I said, most of the plausible guys are at the top. If I had my way, Johnson would be traded, Lillibridge would become the everyday second baseman, and Infante would be a super-utility guy. However, my gut says Johnson is traded, Prado or Infante gets the second base job, and Lillibrdge rots in AAA again. I think Prado gets the job and keeps it for a few years, but I don't see him being too much better than league-average.
30 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment