16 August 2008

Cardinals 5, Reds 3


I was able to get the Reds game tonight. I live in Louisville, so I'm not too far away. Yet, I'm not a Reds fan, and I have nothing invested in them. It was still cool to go there. For the most part, I really like Great American Ballpark. The only problem is the seating. It's really close so if you have broad shoulders, you're in for an uncomfortable night. Also, if you have long legs, it's not good either. As for the game, it was a good one. There was a lot of offense at first with Rick Ankiel and Chris Dickerson (his first MLB home run) hitting home runs in the first inning. The first two and half innings saw runs score each half inning. After that, the bullpens did very well. Arroyo had 100 pitches by the fifth, so he didn't make it past the sixth. He got hit hard anyway as he allowed five runs in five innings. Wellemeyer pitched well, but he was taken out after 5 innings. I'm not sure why. I guess he's pitched in the bullpen too long and needs to be stretched out. The only bad play was by Jason LaRue. On a pitch-out, he threw the ball into center field letting the runner get to third. On the very next play, he failed to block the plate when the batter hit a grounder to third. Glaus made a good throw, but somehow the run scored. Things slowed after that. Chris Perez came in to close the game, so I guess he's the closer in St. Louis even though LaRussa won't admit it.

No comments: