04 August 2008

R.I.P. Skip Caray


I can't believe he's gone. This is the man who I grew up on, listening to him during the Braves games on TBS. Although sometimes I wondered what the heck he was talking about, he was a great man who will be missed. I have MLB.tv now that TBS no longer plays Braves games, and he was on Peachtree TV and FSN South doing Braves games. The other night, his son Chip and the other guy, whose name I can't remember, were jokingly yelling at Skip for stealing their pizza. It just doesn't seem possible that things happened so quickly. Although he had a major illness not too long ago, he seemed perfectly healthy. There should have been warning signs. There should have been more years of Skip Caray doing Braves games. He and Joe Simpson helped teach me baseball, although I still yell at the TV screen when they get off on random tangents. I used to wonder how people were so sad when a broadcaster died. Mostly, the problem was that I didn't know them or remember them, so it didn't matter to me. Last night, I realized how that works. It hasn't quite sunk in yet, but when I watch the Braves game tonight, it will.

No comments: