08 August 2008

Am I Missing Something?


The Boston Red Sox claimed Brian Giles off waivers from the Padres. While it remains to be seen if a deal can be worked out and if Giles will waive his no-trade clause, it is a very real possibility that he could be a Red Sox tomorrow. My question is why. You already have a glut of outfielders and no real place to put Giles. He is going to make $9 million next season, and they would be on the hook for the remainder of his salary for this season. $9 million isn't a lot for the Red Sox, but it is a lot for a bench warmer. With Bay, Ellsbury, and Drew, Giles is just an insurance option and pinch hitter who gives you a good average and OBP. Is this to keep the Rays from getting him? Probably not as Giles really isn't the "right-handed power bat" that the Rays wanted as he is left-handed and a contact hitter at this point in his career. So I doubt that scenario. Did the Angels want him? Again, I don't think so with their already old and sort of useless outfield (which I guess could be a reason that the Angels could claim him, but I still doubt that the Red Sox "fear" Brian Giles in any way), and Giles wouldn't add much more than OBP and walks. It has to be that the Red Sox really want him, but I can't figure out why. Would they trade him this offseason to get the prospect back? That seems pointless. You can talk about Lowell and Ortiz and their injury concerns, but it doesn't really matter much. Okay, so Giles would take over the DH spot in those situations, but isn't Sean Casey the same type of player (.354/.414/.444 as opposed to Giles' .295/.390/.423)? Or are one of the outfielders (maybe Drew) hiding an injury that the Red Sox are slightly concerned about? This just doesn't seem to make much sense.

No comments: