04 August 2008

Around the Turn ...


I'm bored and decided I would handicap the playoff push for each division and the Wild Card races.

NL EAST --> Philadelphia Phillies

When I look at the New York Mets and the Florida Marlins, I begin to wonder how they're still around. Florida has the third worst ERA in the NL. However, they still have that very good offense (who needs Cabrera right?). The Mets are 7th in the NL in ERA, which isn't terrible but not division-winning either. Yet, they have a good offense, too. Actually, the Mets and Marlins are 6th and 7th respectively in runs scored while Philadelphia is 4th in team ERA and 2nd in runs scored. It seems like a no-brainer. Yet, I somehow wonder if this is the real Brett Myers. My heart tells me this is just one of those three game stretches that even Kyle Davies has, but I'm not sure. Still, Philadelphia is the best of the three remaining. They have the better offense and much better bullpen. The question comes in the starting rotation, which with Florida should be getting better with Josh Johnson and Anibal Sanchez coming back. Will they make that big of a difference? I hope so, but I doubt it.

NL CENTRAL --> Chicago Cubs

As much as I hate to say it, the Cubs are the best team in the NL. When they get Wood back from his DL stint, they'll be even better, and Wood will have had a nice rest. The Brewers tried to make things interesting with Sabathia, but Harden has been just as impressive. The Cardinals are somehow sticking around, and with Pujols, they always have a shot. But, 6 games back is a lot to overcome in the final two months. They'll need a big boost from Chris Carpenter to get there. If he can get back to close to his normal self in two weeks, the Cards might be worth watching out for. However, the Cubs have the best offense and 2nd best ERA in the NL. Hard to beat.

NL WEST --> Los Angeles Dodgers

Who here thinks Jason Bay would've looked really good in a D-Backs uni, especially because that would've meant that Manny wouldn't hav ended up in LA? That one player, even as much as I dislike him, is enough to push the Dodgers over the top. If anything, they at least have more confidence. Now, all they need to do is demote Andruw and stop playing Pierre, and their problems are solved. Not so fast, Arizona has a slightly higher ERA and a few more runs scored than the Dodgers (I realize that runs scored isn't the best way to look at offense, but bear with me anyway). If Justin Upton can heat up like he did in April, look out. However, the Dodgers seem to be the better team as their pitching shouldn't decline, but Manny will help the offense.

NL WILD CARD --> Milwaukee Brewers

It's really between the Brewers and the Cardinals. One of them made an important move, and the other stayed put. Yet, the Cardinals are getting Carpenter back. So who do you take? A healthy but heavily (no pun intended) used Sabathia or a recently healthy but rusty Carpenter? I'll take Sabathia. The offenses are pretty similar and both have their bullpen issues, but Sabathia makes a big (pun intended) difference. Then again, if Wainwright comes back healthy, the Cardinals will make this interesting.

AL EAST --> Tampa Bay Rays

Call this a hunch. I say the Rays stick it out through the rest of the season as their team holds up better than the Yankees physically and the Red Sox can't quite make up the difference. I don't know why. Everything points to the Red Sox coming back and winning, but I have this feeling that Longoria gets a big hit late in September to keep them afloat. Maybe Rocco Baldelli comes back and contributes as well. The Red Sox get close, but the Yankees have an injury or two to the older guys and fall from the race, just barely.

AL CENTRAL --> Chicago White Sox

I know the Twins just got Liriano back, but I still think the White Sox staff is better. As for offense, neither is inspiring, but I'll take the Sox and their better bullpen. Detroit won't get there as I predicted before the season. They just don't have what it takes this year.

AL WEST --> Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, of Orange County, of California, of the United States, of North America, of the Western Hemisphere, of the World, of the Milky Way Galaxy, of the Universe

I had to make that long because this division is too easy to call that it makes me think something's going to happen.

AL WILD CARD --> Boston Red Sox

For reasons stated in AL EAST

No comments: