
I have no idea why, but this came up when I typed in Wallace's name. Nickname! Brett Wallace is now known as Mr. Pickles.
The Cardinals moved their
number one pick from low A to AA without a stop in high A. Why do I care? Well, I like to watch the College World Series, and he was a player that caught my eye. Also, this has 2009 implications. Troy Glaus is the current third baseman in St. Louis, and he's having a spectacular season. However, counting on it happening again next season might be more than the Cardinals are willing to bet. Therefore, they'll need a replacement. As a college player, Wallace should be more polished and able to move quickly. He hit well in A ball, and if he hits well in AA, he might be the front-runner for the job. He'll be 22 and cheap, but he also has power. With Ankiel and Ludwick back next season, they don't need Wallace to be a middle of the order guy. The problem is that Wallace isn't a brilliant defender, and with Duncan's philosophy on sinker-ballers, that could be a problem. Yet, I think they'll manage. Watch Wallace. If he does well for the next month and in Spring Training, he could be the starting third baseman next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment