17 August 2008

Biggio Has Number Retired

Take another curtain call Mr. Biggio.


The Houston Astros retired Craig Biggio's no. 7 today. I'm really glad this happened. There a few guys I genuinely respect as both a baseball player and person, and Biggio is definitely one. He played hard every game and for 20 years. In a time where Jimmy Rollins, Manny Ramirez, and BJ Upton don't run out balls, you never had to worry about him. There were several things I loved about him. First, he was a catcher. I will always have a soft spot for catchers. Second, his helmet. It was always covered in pine tar, and to me, it symbolized his style of play. Third, he is second all-time in hit by pitches, only two back from Hughie Jennings (287) who played in the late nineteenth century. Anyone with the stones to stand in there to take a few 90 mph fastballs for his team is okay in my book. Fourth, he has 3,000 hits. In an age where the home run is the be-all and end-all, I still like guys who can do both (291 HR). He made seven All-Stars, won four Gold Gloves, won five Silver Sluggers, and led the league in doubles three times. If he isn't a first time Hall of Famer, I might go have a word with some baseball journalists.

No comments: