16 August 2008

Hargrove Has the "Edge"

Does that look like the face of a man who lost his passion?


After astonishing all of baseball by quitting in the middle of maybe his best managing season ever, Mike Hargrove says he wants to manage again. He said last year that he did not have the passion anymore, but now, he says it's back. Something tells me it never left. First, he was in the middle of an amazing season. No one expected the Mariners to be in it, but they were. That energizes people, not the other way around. Second, look at the mess that is the Mariners now. They just fired their manager and general manager. That tells me something bad was going on. Maybe he just lost his passion to manage the Mariners. Maybe their were fights between them. Third, Ichiro. There were reports that Ichiro and Hargrove were having issues. So why pick Ichiro? It's all economics. Ichiro boosted merchandise and attendance sales when he arrived. Hargrove? Not so much. Ichiro is the face of the franchise. Hargrove? Again, not so much. I doubt Hargrove ever lost his "passion".

I hope he gets another chance somewhere and I bet he does. Where? Padres? Indians (that would be cute, no?)? Pirates? Not Seattle.

2 comments:

Ron Rollins said...

If there's any justice in the world, and the baseball gods are watching, Kansas City will have an opening by the end of the year.

I hope so. I really do hope so.

tHeMARksMiTh said...

I get that you don't like Hillman? ;) I didn't think about the Royals, but I probably should have.