16 August 2008

Glavine to DL

He's just not this young anymore.


Well, after one game, Glavine is back on the DL. I'm not surprised. I guess this also means the end of Glavine's career. When you never have an injury before this season and this is the third trip to the DL this season, I think your body's telling you it's time. The problem is that guys like Glavine and Smoltz don't want to end their careers this way. They'll want to come back next year to prove they can do it. The problem is that when they prove they can still do it, they still won't want to leave because they can still do it. If they can't do it, it will be this season all over again. I love Glavine and Smoltz, but the best thing for the Braves is for both to retire. They can't pretend to depend on them next year. They can't think they're getting the ace they need and forget to bring in Sabathia or Sheets. That hurts them next year (maybe) and in the future (definitely). They're both Hall of Famers, but they do need to shut it down permanently. It'll be hard, but it's necessary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was visiting my parents house a few days ago and opened up my old baseball cards for the first time in 16 years and looked at this same card of Tom Glavine for a few minutes. Who'd have thunk he'd go on to win 300 games?