30 September 2008

Quick Ruminations

Well not by Johnny, but the blonde hair and glasses are accurate.


Okay, I have this weird thing about nice numbers, and this is the 99th post. Once the White Sox game is over, I'll make the next ALDS post. Therefore, this whole post is due to my vanity/OCD. I wanted exactly 100 posts for this month. I don't know how many months I'll really be able to get to 100 posts. It means having a bit more than 3 posts a day, which doesn't seem like much and I am completely befuddled by Shysterball and how many he posts, but you get tired every once in awhile. Anyway, my meaning was not to make this a rant/apology/death notice.

Rumination One: Would it be better for baseball if players chose teams based on winning instead of money? If they choose by money, the teams with the most money get the best players. If they choose winning, then all the good teams would continually get all the best players. If the best teams (ie. the Rays) don't have enough money and the best teams thereby default to thebig-market team, does anything change?

Rumination Two: Shouldn't we celebrate award-winners instead of debating whether or not they deserve it when they clearly do?

Rumination Three: Isn't "rumination" a much better word than "rambling" or "thought"?

Rumination Four: Does anyone else think Hank's craziness is actually part of the plan in New York? Bear with me here. You get him to say nutty things to make the Yankees organization the "crazy guy you don't want to mess with because he might just do anything". That way, when he makes outrageous claims or demands or wishes, you're not quite sure if he's telling the truth or just baiting everyone else. Then, Hal sits back in the office (because he's obviously the saner/more intelligent one. I mean, who would play along with this completely ridiculous scenario?) and makes most of the decisions, which really means just letting Cashman work for better or worse. Like with Santana, Hank yells out loud how much he wants Santana, and because everyone knows the Yankees had the prospects and the money, they have to take that seriously. Meanwhile, Hal and Brian just laugh and laugh and laugh. Granted, they could have used him this season, but that doesn't mean they made the wrong decision ... yet.

Rumination Five: Are you still reading this? I'm impressed and oddly happy. Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Rumination Six: Who else thinks Billy Beane is just a big tease? I know he's a great talent evaluator and the A's have been good, but name me one team that we really thought was World Series talented. He had a pretty good team that could have had a rotation of Harden, Haren, and Blanton, but he chose otherwise. Now, he sits around and hopes for the prospects to work out. I guess we'll have to wait and see ... again.

Rumination Seven: Just because there's an orthodox way of doing things, does that make them the best way to do them? I love Joe Maddon for his thinking and ability to do what he thinks is best, but then again, when no one expects you to do anything, you can try anything can't you?

No comments: