19 September 2008
Chipper in GQ
I never thought I'd see the day when Chipper would be in GQ. He's not really known for his dress, and I've always considered him more redneck than metrosexual. Luckily, that's not what the article is about. He's dressed in the Braves home uniform, and he's talking about his career, especially the early years. It's always interesting to hear people bagging on him for his affair/divorce, calling out "Hooters!", and the like, but it's undeniable what he's done on the field. For the most part, I've always tried to keep on the field stuff and off the field stuff separate, but I know that's difficult to do. Anyway, Chipper talks pretty openly about what happened early in his career. At that point, I was too young to really pay attention/discern what was going on. I knew about the divorce because the World Series analysts basically couldn't stop talking about it when he filed for divorce, but I couldn't have really understood what happened or what he did. Despite what he's done, I still consider him my all-time favorite player (I don't think he's the best to play the game), and when he retires, McCann will take his place as my favorite active player. No one will take his place as my favorite player. I grew up with him. When he was young and immature, I was really young and really immature. The one thing I take from his divorce/affair is how he acted after that. Instead of continuing to be a d*ck, he took responsibility. He fessed up in the media, and more importantly, he took care of the child he fathered. He's not perfect, but who is? People make mistakes, but it's what they do after making the mistakes that makes you who you are. As 3 Doors Down says in "The Only One You've Got", "Your mistakes do not define you now, they tell you who you're not."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment