20 September 2008

Lee vs. Halladay

Who will win this most-coveted trophy?


I know this is another one these debates you've heard a few times, but how about an unbiased view. So far, I've heard both sides make great cases as to why one of them should win. The problem is that they use different statistics. Therefore, this is how this will shake down. I won't give an opinion on who should win. I'm going to put all their stats out there that I can find, and then, we'll see who has the best stats. How to do this? Each player gets one point per category. Statistics are nice, but they are essentially flawed. They can't be perfect measurements of a pitcher's performance by themselves, but together, it could work. Thus, each category counts just the same as another. Because they are each imperfect, they are thus equally imperfect (I know the logic doesn't make perfect sense, but bear with me). Here we go.

(Cliff Lee - Roy Halladay)

Wins: 22 - 19 (Lee 1-0)
Losses: 2-11 (Lee 2-0)
ERA: 2.41 - 2.81 (Lee 3-0)
Games: 30 - 33 (Lee 3-1)
Games Started: 30 - 32 (Lee 3-2)
Complete Games: 4 - 8 (3-3)
Shut-outs: 2 - 2 (3-3)
Innings Pitched: 216.1 - 237 (Halladay 4-3)
Hits: 205 - 214 (4-4)
Home-runs: 11 - 18 (Lee 5-4)
Walks: 31- 38 (Lee 6-4)
Strikeouts: 162 - 201 (Lee 6-5)
WHIP: 1.09 - 1.06 (6-6)
SLG: .341 - .348 (Lee 7-6)
OBA: .281 - .278 (7-7)
BAA: .251 - .239 (Halladay 8-7)
Holds: 0 - 1 (Halladay 9-7)
K/BB: 5.23 - 5.29 (Halladay 10-7)
BB/9: 1.29 - 1.44 (Halladay 10-8)
K/9: 6.74 - 7.63 (Halladay 11-8)
BABIP: .302 - .297 (Halladay 12-8)
WPA: 6.50 - 4.17 (Halladay 12-9)
VORP: 75.3 - 66.4 (Halladay 12-10)
Quality Starts: 23 - 21 (Halladay 12-11)
HBP: 5 - 12 (12-12)
DP: 26-19 (Lee 13-12)
Groundball/Flyball: 1.39 - 2.06 (13-13)
Runs: 63- 83 (Lee 14-13)
Earned Runs: 58 - 71 (Lee 15-13)
Wild Pitches: 3 - 4 (Lee 15-14)
Doubles: 29 - 31 (Lee 16-14)
Triples: 6 - 6 (Lee 16-14)
Stolen Bases: 3 - 13 (Lee 17-14)
Caught Stealing: 0 - 5 (Lee 17-15)

After 33 categories, Lee is the winner. I kept looking for as many stats as possible, and I know there are more out there (I don't know much about the sabermetric stuff, so I didn't include it in fear of being seen as an idiot). However, that's a pretty substantial number of stats, and Lee won. However, he didn't win by much. Maybe, instead of griping about how one shouldn't win, we should just be happy about how each has pitched. I know that won't happen, but I hope to not see so many places saying how Lee shouldn't have won. He's clearly one of the top pitchers in the league, and he may be getting some "wow" points for his turnaround. Who should win? I guess I could say, "Who cares? This just proves how stupid these things are." However, when we look back on Hall of Famers, we look at these awards. How many did they win? So, in reality, I guess they do matter. Can't they both just win it? I guess that's probably too cowardly of me.

No comments: