
I still think he should lace 'em up again. Just secretly give him some greenies or something. Aw hell, just ask Clemens how he did it.
Whether
this speaks specifically to the players or coaches or both (or even Jon Daniels), that is up for debate. However, after having the highest ERA in baseball, there is no doubt the Rangers need a new pitching staff. For starters (pun intended), they could make a play at Sabathia. I don't see them offering as much as the Yankees or Angels, but it's possible. If they can't, I don't see Sabathia willingly heading to a hitter's park. With all the prospects they have, I see them going after Jon Garland and Derek Lowe, who are ground-ball guys that won't demand five-year deals. Other guys like Mike Hampton, Kyle Lohse, or Randy Wolf might be nice additions. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Mussina back with the Yankees next season, so he's off the list. That leaves the big guys of Ben Sheets and AJ Burnett. With the injuries to the Blue Jay rotation, I think letting Burnett go would be a bad idea. As for Sheets, his injuries make him a bit of a risk for what he'll likely want, but there will be worse additions. Another problem is the amount of high-priced guys they already have. Kevin Millwood (through '10) and Vicente Padilla (through '09) cost a lot of money. They could try to trade them away, but they won't get a whole lot back (with the Rangers' farm system, just getting rid of the money commitment should be enough, but it likely won't be). They cost a combined $23 million next year, which together would be a nice run for Sabathia, but will it be enough? That's TBD for now. Honestly, the best way to get some pitching isn't to open the money vault. The best way would be through their prospect vault. Saltalamacchia for a Boston guy (Michael Bowden?)? Andrus to the Yankees for Hughes (possible replacement for Jeter?)? They could be more creative and combine guys for a run at a Kazmir, Peavy (anyone else think this guy has a pretty good chance of being traded?), Harang (who should bounce back), or Greinke.
No comments:
Post a Comment