26 September 2008

Chipper to First?

I have this picture at home. Isn't it beautiful?


I've been thinking about this for awhile, but I've neglected to write about it. After his shoulder injury, this may be the offseason the Braves finally move Chipper to first base. People have talked about it in previous seasons, but with his foot problem a few years ago, we all assumed it would be a bad idea. But would it? First, his problems have gone away. The new shoes and moving back to the infield have helped tremendously, and he has enough athleticism to make the transition. Second, while first base seems weak in the organization, there's something the Braves could do about that. His name is Casey Kotchman. I realize he can't play third, but let's think for a moment. The Mariners need a first baseman, and they may want to get rid of Adrian Beltre. The Rangers could keep Chris Davis at third and put Kotchman on first, and then, the Braves could get Blalock (I realize his health history, but he might be worth a shot). Joe Crede could be an option, but again, his health history doesn't help. When the Orioles lose on Teixeira, Kotchman could play first, and the Braves could get Mora. Casey Blake is another option on the free-agent market, and Kotchman can be traded for something else. Third, Chipper would do anything for the organization, and though he didn't like moving the first time, he might do this if an impact guy came in return. However, there is one catch: his groin. He's had some groin issues the last few seasons, and one stretch could tweak it. I'm not really sure that it would, but with his groin, anything could happen. Anyway, first seems less labor-intensive, and I think the Braves should think more about it, especially if the injury is serious. If Chipper doesn't want to do it, then I completely understand it, and he's earned the right to say no. Still, it might be the best option for all involved.

No comments: