15 September 2008

Just Real Quick About Yost


Update: The "slump" has occurred against the Mets, Reds, and Phillies. Other than the Reds, they've faced some tough teams.

Seriously, did anyone expect this?


WTF? I thought maybe he'd be fired, but I thought it would be after the season. How does anyone know that he can't buckle down in the clutch? Sure, they stumbled down the stretch last season, but they were really young and didn't have the veterans they have now (ie. Cameron, Sabathia). As for this season, they haven't stumbled yet. They still have 12 games left. Every team goes through slumps, so when it coincidentally comes near the end of the year, people think it's always a choke. I've got news for you -- it doesn't always work that way. You can say they are playing tight, but until you get into their heads, don't tell me that. One of two teams has to lose. By this logic, you're telling me that the Braves are now standing up and coming through at the right time? No, they just happen to have started to hit again.

Also, it was Melvin who constructed the crapshoot that is their bullpen, etc. Why is he not the one getting fired, or at least as well? To me, getting a team into the playoffs is a combination of the manager and the GM. The GM puts it together, and the manager helps them perform. Well, if the GM doesn't give the manager the tools (Sabathia did not solve all their problems), then how can he make them perform? Honestly, I just don't see why they fired him now, of all times. Sure, you can hope for a Jerry Manuel turn-around, but I don't think the problems end at the manager (and I would look out for Manuel's job as the Mets start to "choke" -- I mean regress back to where they should be despite over-performing for a couple months).

Sorry, this turned out to be longer than I expected. WTF is really all I wanted to say. Disregard all the other statements. But if you have to disregard this statement, then do you regard all the other statements? I'm confusing myself, so I'll stop now.

No comments: