It is reported that McGwire thinks he can still hit and play if someone wanted him. I wouldn't read too much into it, even if he wasn't joking. He'll be 46 next season, and he hasn't hit in ... oh, forever against major-league pitching. Even if the A's are in search of a power-hitter, I'd be shocked if they signed McGwire. Especially considering the situation surrounding Bonds, I'm not sure how much teams will want him. Granted, he is not in the same situation as Bonds (hatred, trial, etc.), but he still has a stigma. First, he'd have to explain his Congressional hearing, and being in the majors doesn't hide you from the media in the same way he's been hiding since he retired. Second, the team would have to explain why the heck they gave a contract to a guy in his mid-40's who had serious knee problems in his mid-30's. I realize he wouldn't have to play defense, but taking all those swings when you haven't been for years doesn't help one make it through a season.
I like McGwire, but I just don't see this happening. The only way he's in a major-league uniform next season is if he's an instructor or coach.
08 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment