The Rule 5 draft (December 11) is an interesting and slightly complicated process. The drafting part of it isn't, but the eligibility rules are. First, start here to learn the rules. Then, come back and look at this list of guys to watch for in the draft. Personally, when building a bullpen, I have stated over-and-over again how much I hate signing free-agent relievers. This is one reason why. There will a few arms available to help fill out that bullpen. These guys generally have some sort of problem (why they aren't protected), but most just need a shot and have the talent to succeed, at least decently well enough for a spot in the bullpen. If not, you give them back, but if they do, it's a nice, cheap addition. Position players are harder to keep and to guess on, but some (like Josh Hamilton) can be nice additions. I think that's much rarer though. This list is a closer look at Tim Dierkes'.
Juan Abreu
A Royal farmhand, Abreu did strike out 104 in 76 IP last season. But, it was in A-ball. I doubt he'll get much attention.
Jordan Brown
A first base/corner outfielder in Cleveland's organization, Brown only hit .281/.337/.417. That doesn't exactly scream first base/corner outfield. I doubt he'll be picked, either.
Bobby Brownlie
A starting pitcher in the Nationals organization, Brownlie did well in AA, but got hammered in AAA. Probably not worth the gamble unless you need a mop-up guy. He doesn't strike out a whole lot of guys and he does walk people.
Matt Fox
Another A pitcher this time from Minnesota, Fox strikes out a decent amount of hitters and had a 3.37 ERA, but I doubt he gets picked.
Alan Horne
Once a very promising pitcher in the Yankees organization, Horne had some injuries this past season (dead arm?) and didn't pitch particularly well. However, his past success and his low 90's fastball with a hammer curve might intrigue a few people.
Kei Igawa
I wanted to just laugh this off as insane, but he did have a very nice 3.45 ERA in Scranton. However, $12M are still owed to Igawa over the next three seasons, and there have been reports that Igawa is not happy in the US. I doubt anyone picks him up.
Chuck Lofgren
A pitcher in the Indians organization, Lofgren isn't particularly impressive but has pitched against advanced competition. At age 23, he might be worth a gamble hoping his command gets a little better.
Daniel Mayora
A shortstop/second base prospect in Colorado, Mayora hit .288/.360/.422 with 34 doubles this past season in A-ball. He's a decent prospect, but I doubt anyone will jump for him.
Eduardo Morlan
Brought over in the Delmon Young trade, Morlan was pretty good this past season with a 3.64 ERA in AA with 45 K in 47 IP. I would not be surprised at all to see someone take a gamble on the soon-to-be 23 year old.
Chris Nicoll
Another relief prospect in the Royals organization, Nicoll was impressive this past season and finished the season by striking out 55 guys in 43 IP in AA with a 3.09 ERA. He only had 23 walks in 86 IP, so I almost expect someone to think enough of him, even a year removed from his embarassing '07 campaign.
Jay Rainville
After a quick start to the season, Rainville plummeted in AA, and he doesn't really warrant too much consideration.
James Skelton
A catcher in the Tigers organization, Skelton performed well in 2008 at several levels. He has almost zero pop but hits for average and walks and throws out basestealers (29 of 74 last season). If you need a catcher badly or need an heir-apparent, it might not be too bad to take a flier on him and let him sit the bench for a season while working with another catcher.
Tim Stauffer
Do you ever play video games and have a guy do really well for you even though you've never heard of him? Stauffer is that guy for me. Too bad he didn't succeed as well in real life. He's been stuck in AAA for the past 3+ seasons and finally got his ERA under 5 (4.34). He's not particularly impressive, but his experience will probably make him somewhat desirable.
Wade Townsend
Injuries have derailed his once-promising career. His command isn't much better (39 BB in 66.2 IP), but he does strike out quite a few people. He throws in the low-90's with what has been said to be a very good knuckle-curve, and he might be able to come in handy out of the bullpen, which should help save his arm.
Philippe Valiquette
A decent arm in the Reds organization, Valiquette can strike people out at a decent pace, but he hasn't been seen above A ball and is doing badly in Hawaii.
Donald Veal
His terrible control got worse this year as the Cub prospect saw his ERA rise from 2.15 in 2006 to 4.52 this past season. However, he strikes out a lot of people and has pitched in AA. Someone might take him thinking they can tinker with his mechanics a little to get better command.
Ryan Wagner
A former first-rounder, Wagner has jumped around quite a bit in his major-league career, but someone is likely to take a chance on his once-high promise.
Kyle Waldrop
Another Twinkie, Waldrop did make it to AA this past season, but he doesn't strike out a lot of guys and his ERA in AA was 5.34. I wouldn't look for anyone to take him.
Again, pitchers are the most commonly sought-after guys because you can hide them in the bullpen and use them for mop-up duty. If I was a GM, I would look at Horne, Morlan, Nicoll, Skelton, Townsend, and Veal. You always need cheap bullpen guys. I'm telling you.
28 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment