04 November 2008

Junichi Tazawa

He's all the buzz right now, if you discount Manny, Teixeira, CC, and the election (but who cares about that?).


I've been hearing a lot about this young man, but I don't know much about him. I'm not sure if anyone else does either, so let me do the work for you.

He is 22 year old right-hander who asked not to be drafted by the Nippon Professional Baseball league. One scout said he throws a fastball in the 88 to 93 mph range, but I've heard it actually hits 97 to 98 (maybe just on the stadium radar gun). Otherwise, he throws a good splitter or forkball along with a good 12-6 curveball. I've heard comparisons to Tim Hudson. However, I've also heard some comparisons to Daisuke Matsuzaka and his control. Next, is he a starter or reliever? With three pitches, I imagine he'll be starter, or at the very least a closer-type.

As for how soon he'll be in the majors, that remains to be seen. The Braves reportedly offered him a major-league contract, but the fact that that is news tells me he won't be an instant contributor, which is fine considering he's only 22. I imagine whoever gets him will put him in AA and move him quickly if he performs well. I guess he could be in the rotation by 2010, maybe mid-2009.

Now, what happens if the Braves sign him (you knew I was gonna ask)? Does this make Tommy Hanson more touchable? Or do they keep both in hopes of a stronger, young rotation because the system isn't flush with impact arms right now? Does this make getting Peavy less of a need? Or do they want both? It'll be interesting. As of now, it seems as though the Red Sox are the front-runners (it appears the Yankees aren't interested -- the "gentleman's agreement"), but that was before the Braves reportedly offered a major-league contract. Seattle, Pittsburgh, Detroit, the Cubs, and Philadelphia are the other reports.

Links -- NPB and Bleacher-Report

No comments: