
John Smoltz is going to rehab as though he's coming back. I'm actually crying as I write this because I don't want to say it, but I'm starting to wonder if he should. First, I think he's a Hall of Famer (although not a first-ballot but probably a seventh or eighth), so he doesn't need to prove any more. Second, after this major surgery and his advanced age, he could really injure himself by coming back. Third, if he comes back, how effective will he be? Can he still throw hard? Will he be able to throw his slider? How many times can he pitch? At this point, we need someone who is durable and effective, and I'm not sure he can be that way. Fourth, how much will he cost? $12 million? $4 million? $1 million? Not being sure of his health at his age and still signing him to a contract above $1 million is asking for trouble (although one year contracts are generally acceptable risks). With Tex needing a new contract, having the extra $12 million dollars that Smoltz could earn next season would come in handy considering we need Tex and a new starting pitcher (and we all know how much those cost these days).
This is so hard to say because he's been so good for the Braves for so long, but at what point do you just say good-bye. With his competitive personality, he may never want to stop, convincing himself that next season will be better. I don't know. Maybe I don't know enough about the surgery and coming back from it, but I doubt he'll be able to come back effectively. If he does and fails, then he won't have ended his career any better and he'll have to endure more surgery. He shouldn't have to go through that. John, rehab, play golf, and work on your Hall speech.
No comments:
Post a Comment