23 May 2008

Who's the Most Generous Baseball Player?


I was thinking about this the other day. How do you decide who's the most generous? Anyway, I figured out the perfect way: how many balls do the players throw up into the stands? No, not how many service hours they do because most teams mandate service to the community. Throwing balls into the stands is totally voluntary. Now, this takes more work if you want to include pre-game throws because some people throw them up during that time. Anyway, this counts all final outs, foul balls, scratched balls, balls thrown up just because you ask, and when Mike Sweeney and Frank Thomas fake throw up your first big-league hit balls. It takes a special someone to figure this out and keep track, but someone has to be anal enough, right? I just thought it would be interesting. Maybe I'll send it to Jayson Stark. He might be amused by this.

No comments: