
Do you ever want to see if a pitcher can succeed without a 95 mph heater? Well, then watch the Braves' Jorge Campillo. Every year, Bobby Cox seems to find a player that plays over his head and helps the team. Jorge Campillo is the man this season. He made his debut a few years ago with the Mariners but didn't make it out of the first inning as a result of needing Tommy John. Now at age 29, he's back and better than ever. With an 85 mph fastball, amazing curveball, and a very good curveball, Campillo has reeled off three straight good starts. The only thing in his way are blisters. Yet, Chipper even called his change-up the "invis-a-ball" because of its movement. In his three starts, he's pitched 15 innings (blisters held him back from more), 9 hits, 16 K, 0 BB, and 1 ER (1!). Amazing. I love seeing guys like this pitch. I hate seeing guys who throw really hard but can't command it. Guys like Campillo aren't around much because of the institution of the radar gun. Sometimes I feel as though scouts use radar guns so much that they forget to find guys that can actually pitch. I hope he is not just a flash in the pan, and I especially hope that those blisters go away. Unfortunately, I think he'll have to be the 4th Braves' starter to the DL if he actually wants to heal those fingers.
No comments:
Post a Comment