23 May 2008

Doug Davis to Return Tonight

Update: Doug goes 7 giving up 5 hits, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts in his start. When I said I would cheer for him, I didn't want him and his team to beat the living crap out of the Braves. Oh well, congrats Doug.
It's nights like this one that make me glad I have MLB.TV. Doug Davis returns to action tonight against the Atlanta Braves at 7:30 ET. He had thyroid cancer and pitched two games at the beginning of the season before his subsequent surgery and rehab and did quite well. Now, he has received assurance that he is cancer-free and can resume his major league career. In a way, his illness almost seemed inconsequential because he returned so fast and with so little fuss. It was almost like he strained a calf muscle (like Moises Alou did the other night ... again), but it was much more than that. Moments like that remind everyone that these players are subject to the same laws of nature that the rest of the human population is. They aren't special. I stand up and cheer for guys like this who face cancer head-on. It has to be scary to realize what happened to your body and what can then happen. Tonight, although I am a Braves fan, I will cheer for Mr. Davis. Welcome back.

No comments: