23 May 2008

Leyland Upset at Having to Jog


I just read Buster Olney's blog for today, and I ran across the article on Jim Leyland being upset over some directive imposed by the MLB. So I checked it out, and the directive states that the umpire can stop a mound visit early if the coach is not "prompt". Well, Leyland was actually asked to jog to the mound. Now, I have to say, Leyland's response is pretty hilarious, but he brings up an interesting point. As a Braves fan, I doubt Cox could jog out to the mound without having a heart attack, and I certainly don't want to see that. Honestly, I have never seen him jog to the mound so far this season, so it's weird that they are mad at Leyland only (or at least he's the only one we know of). However, Leyland makes a remark about TV and the ads taking up time. So in a recap, baseball and Bud Selig want to see their 60 year old managers who have the utmost respect of the industry to jog to the mound to save time instead of having fewer ads by companies who have nothing to do with baseball or its success. Real bright idea, but as has been said, it's always about the money.

No comments: