
Mark Shapiro, the Indians GM, recently said that he will look into acquiring some players for his team. With his surplus of pitching, he will be able to deal for someone decent, but unless he decides to deal CC (won't happen), Fausto (now on DL), or Cliff Lee, he won't get the type of player to turn his team around. Honestly, no one really wants any of the Indians position players, but some of their pitching would be desirable. Anyway, I was wondering what it would take to make a trade with Atlanta. Here are some thoughts:
Cliff Lee for Kelly Johnson, Matt Diaz, Charlie Morton
Honestly, I doubt the Indians would deal Lee because Fausto is out and CC probably won't be back next season, but Shapiro might deal while Lee's value is extremely high. I mean Lee is good, but just not 1.50 ERA good. Kelly would fill the need for a second baseman who can provide offense. Diaz hasn't hit yet, but his track record says he will and the Indians need some BA. Morton is a good young pitcher that the Indians will certainly want in return.
Paul Byrd for Kelly Johnson
I wouldn't give up more than one good piece for Byrd, and I doubt I would really give up Johnson for him.
Aaron Laffey for Kelly Johnson
Laffey is probably too young to fill the innings eater, experienced type that the Braves would want, but he's been great so far. Again, I would fight to keep Johnson.
It's not that I don't like Kelly. I really do, but he's probably our biggest chip that we could give up. Infante has played well. Gotay has played well. Prado even played well before getting hurt. We have some depth at second base, so I expect that Johnson won't be around come August 1.
No comments:
Post a Comment