I have been watching the D-backs for the past couple years, and when I play baseball video games, I have been the D-backs, except this year because I couldn't justify creating myself and taking someone's spot. I admit that I'm a video game junkie, but that's a discussion for another time. Anyway, back to the genius that is the Arizona club.
It's easy to love a team when they start out hot, but I would like to mention that I called that they would win 100 games (bravesmith) this season. While winning 90 last season, there is no reason to believe they won't improve considering the ages of their core players. Below is there lineup and ages in parentheses:
Chris Young (24)
Stephen Drew (25)
Conor Jackson (26)
Eric Byrnes (32- the old guy)
Justin Upton (20!)
Mark Reynolds (24)
Orlando Hudson (30)
Chris Snyder (27)
Wow. That's all I can say. Most of these players haven't reached their primes yet, they are already the best team in the league. Here's the pitching staff:
Brandon Webb (29)
Dan Haren (27)
Randy Johnson (44- the really old guy)
Doug Davis (32)
Micah Owings (25)
Max Scherzer waiting in the wings (23)
Who wouldn't want that rotation? And that's not even mentioning the bullpen, spectacular by the way. I could keep gushing, but I'll stop. We all see how this team could very easily become the next Braves of the '90's to be the 'Backs of the '10's. I just want to give a shout-out to Josh Byrnes for his work. He and the D-Backs are the envy of the Majors and a reason the NL may be turning the tide between the AL and NL. I love giving young guys a try because I feel they give the same contributions that a 35 year old gives, albeit without the experience, but are on their way up not down. However, this also requires a great job in scouting and player development. The D-Backs are one of a kind. I know I haven't said much new tonight, and they did lose tonight by the way, but I felt like I should publicly commend Byrnes and the D-Backs (although they don't give a damn).
No comments:
Post a Comment