
Apparently, getting rid of "Devil" is all that team needed to do in order to win ballgames. Right now, the Rays lead the Majors with a 31-20 record with the D-Backs and Cubs a game behind at 30-21, and the Angels are a game back at 31-22. I wrote a blog a couple days ago where I commended Josh Byrnes and the D-Backs, so I figured I would do the same for Andrew Friedman and the Rays. This team has been perenially bashed and has never finished better than fifth (out of 5) in the AL East. In most pre-season predictions, experts had the Rays winning about 82-84 games this season, and although the season isn't even 1/3 over, things look great for the Rays. Like the D-Backs, the Rays sport a very young team and, even better, rotation. Here is the lineup (age in these):
Carl Crawford (26)
Akinori Iwamura (29)
Cliff Floyd (35- the old guy)
Carlos Peña (29)
Evan Longoria (22)
B.J. Upton (23)
Jonny Gomes (27)
Jason Bartlett (28)
Dioner Navarro (24)
Honestly, I think the D-Backs have the superior lineup, and they are a bit younger. However, not many teams have the comfort of having so many good, young, cheap players. Teams are starting to take notice of this theme of building within, and more emphasis is being placed on the draft. Yet, there are some problems with this. First, most players take at least 4 years to get through the minors, so any significant progress wouldn't happen for at least 4 years. Second, not every pick makes the playoffs, so even your first round pick is not a lock causing a couple more years to be added to your playoff countdown. Third, there is a lot to be said about picking up free-agents when they are out there. Free-agents have more experience and they are generally around their primes (although recent signings have begun to keep that from happening). Plus, they only cost money, not picks or other players in trades. So while rebuilding from within seems like a good idea based on the D-Backs and Rays, it can tak awhile just as these two teams have shown. Anyway, here is the starting rotation (note: that the Rays have a bunch of young pitchers in the minors who are considered to be very good):
Scott Kazmir (24- the Mets still cringe at the sound of his name)
James Shields (27)
Matt Garza (24)
Edwin Jackson (24)
Andy Sonnanstine (25)
In the minors:
Jeff Niemann (25- AAA)
Wade Davis (22- AA)
David Price (22- A, but he'll be moved quickly)
Jacob McGee (21- AA)
So, the Rays are pretty much stacked. They actually have a few more, but I figured I would end it with the 5 and 4-star prospects. This rotation is much younger than that of the D-Backs. Webb and Kazmir even out due to age and talent (I think Webb is better but older). Shields and Haren are about even (good pitchers, both 27). As of right now, the D-Backs have a stronger back of the rotation but not the depth of the Rays. In a couple of years though, the Rays may have the best and young pitching staff in the Majors. Just imagine in two years, the rotation could be Kazmir (26), Shields (29), Garza (26), Price (24), and Davis (24). Young, good, and cheap. Oh how I am envious.
P.S. I might do a team-by-team analysis of each team. I'm not sure yet, but I might.
No comments:
Post a Comment